Belfast Telegraph

Second man pleads guilty to murder of Northern Ireland restaurant owner Wing Fu Cheung

By Ashleigh McDonald

A 35-year-old man from Co Antrim has become the second person to admit the murder of a Chinese restaurateur.

Wing Fu Cheung - a popular businessman also known as Nelson - was stabbed to death after his car was forced off the road on the outskirts of Randalstown last January.

His wife, Kam-Fung Cheung, was injured and robbed in the incident which claimed her husband's life.

Appearing at Belfast Crown Court yesterday was Virgilio Augusto Fernando Correia, whose address was given as HMP Maghaberry.

Correia's barrister Gavan Duffy QC asked the clerk of the court to re-arraign his client on three charges arising from last January's incident - namely murdering Mr Cheung, wounding his wife with intent to do her grievous bodily harm, and robbing Mrs Cheung of a handbag containing an iPad, an iPhone and a purse containing £200 in cash plus two bank cards.

All three offences cover a period between January 6 and 9, 2015.

When each of the charges were put to Correia, he replied: "Guilty."

Correia, who at the time of his arrest was living at Grant Avenue in Randalstown, is the second man to admit murdering Mr Cheung.

Christopher David Menaul (25), from Barra Street in Antrim, pleaded guilty to the same three charges after appearing in court last month.

Two co-accused - husband and wife Gary and Lisa Thompson - will be standing trial in the New Year on other charges arising from the murder.

Crown prosecutor David McClean said yesterday's plea by Correia would "significantly reduce" the trial, which is due to start on January 9, 2017.

Following the plea, Mr Justice Treacy ordered pre-sentence reports be compiled on Correia, who was remanded back into custody.

The judge told the court he would sentence Correia at a later date.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph