Belfast Telegraph

Second Newry alert in two days

A number of homes in Newry have had to be evacuated because of a bomb alert - the second in two days.

Army Technical Officers were called to examine a suspicious object found by a member of the public at Chapel Road in the city at about 11.15am yesterday.

A spokesman for the PSNI said nothing sinister had been found.

Chapel Road and Priory Crescent were sealed off but re-opened at about 12.25pm.

Dissident republicans are being blamed for abandoning a bomb inside a branch of Santander at Hill Street on Monday. Two masked men entered the premises, dropped a holdall and issued a 45-minute evacuation warning before fleeing.

SDLP MLA for the area, Dominic Bradley, said: "It was the second successive day that Newry has been disrupted. Thankfully no-one has been injured and that's the most important thing.

"But the commercial life of Newry is also important, too. Disruption caused by these alerts does not help the local economy."

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph