Shock at third Bangor sex assault in less than a month
A teenager has been raped in Bangor – the third sexual assault in the resort in less than a month.
Police said the 19-year-old woman was attacked in a car park at Quay Street, close to the Coastguard station of the Co Down resort, between 11pm on Friday and 1.30am on Saturday.
They have appealed for anyone who noticed suspicious activity around a blue four-door car in the area to get in touch. In particular, they want to hear from a woman who lives near the scene of the attack and who went to the aid of the distressed teenager.
A PSNI spokesman said the woman helped the teenager at about 2am, giving her food and driving her to her home in Belfast.
The attacks are not thought to be linked, despite two taking place in the Quay Street area.
On the night of Saturday, September 21, a 19-year-old woman was the victim of a sexual assault close to the McKee clock.
Three nights later, a woman was raped at a coastal path in the Downshire Road area after accepting a lift from three men.
All three attacks have taken place late at night in the seafront area, despite it being well lit, said North Down mayor Andrew Muir.
"My thoughts are with the victim after what must have been a terrifying ordeal," he said.
"I would appeal for anyone with information on the perpetrator to come forward and speak to the PSNI immediately.
"We must ensure our streets are safe and I'd also encourage all local residents to remain vigilant and to take the correct precautions to secure their safety when out and about late at night."
Mr Muir said he will be meeting with police over the attacks.
He said he had been contacted by the public concerned about safety in the town.