Sister's relief over Bloody Sunday probe development
The sister of one of the people killed in Londonderry on Bloody Sunday said it was with a sigh of relief that she received the news that all of the paratroopers involved have been questioned by the police.
In total, eight soldiers were quizzed, but not under caution, and the interviews took place in England after the High Court ruled the troops should not be arrested or brought here.
Seven former paratroopers took the action after Soldier J, who lives in Northern Ireland, was arrested and taken to Antrim police station for questioning about the deaths of William Nash, John Young and Michael McDaid and the shooting of Alexander Nash, who was among the injured.
Police have finished their interviews with the former military personnel and are compiling a report for the Public Prosecution Service.
Detective Chief Inspector Ian Harrison, from the legacy investigation branch, said: “The families have been informed of this and we will continue to keep them updated in relation to developments.”
Kate Nash, whose brother William was killed and father Alex was wounded during the civil rights march in Derry in 1972, said: “We have been thrown many hurdles along the way of this investigation, but we have passed them all and it was with a sigh of relief that I was given the news that all of the soldiers have now been interviewed.
“We can look ahead now to the day when the soldiers are in court facing prosecutions over the deaths of our loved ones.”
People Before Profit MLA for Foyle Eamonn McCann, who is a former head of the Bloody Sunday Trust, said the news marked a milestone for the families and also called for a speedy resolution for the relatives.
He added: “The interviews were completed last month. The families shouldn’t have to hang on any longer.
“The PSNI had estimated that the current investigation would take four years. Four years have already passed.
“The end of the Bloody Sunday saga may not be near, but it is at last in sight.”