Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Stabbing case: Manslaughter plea accepted over killing of Mohsin Bhatti

By Ashleigh McDonald

Published 01/06/2016

Victim: Mohsin Bhatti
Victim: Mohsin Bhatti

A 33-year-old man has admitted killing another who died in Belfast from multiple stab wounds.

Ahmed Noor appeared at Belfast Crown Court and admitted killing 29-year-old Mohsin Bhatti.

Noor, originally from Somalia, whose address was given as Agincourt Avenue in the city, was charged with murdering Mr Bhatti on January 29, 2015.

When the murder charge was put to Noor, he replied: "Not guilty to murder, but guilty to manslaughter by reason of diminished responsibility."

Prosecuting barrister Kieran Murphy QC said that in light of this, the Crown was accepting the plea of manslaughter. Mr Murphy said a second charge against Noor - possessing two knifes with intent to commit murder - was being "left on the books, not to be proceeded with".

Mr Murphy told Madam Justice McBride that this offence was "part and parcel" of the circumstances in respect of the manslaughter. Mr Bhatti, who came from Pakistan, had been in Northern Ireland for around a year and had been living at India Street at the time of his death.

He sustained his fatal injuries in the early morning attack and died on Botanic Avenue.

During yesterday's brief hearing at Belfast Crown Court both the prosecution and defence asked for time for the preparation of reports.

Madam Justice McBride granted this request and said she would hear the plea on June 30.

The judge then remanded Noor back into custody to a secure unit at Knockbracken Healthcare Park on the outskirts of Belfast.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph