Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Strict bail terms for man accused of sex assault

By Alan Erwin

Published 09/11/2016

A man accused of sexually assaulting a woman after climbing into her home has been granted High Court bail
A man accused of sexually assaulting a woman after climbing into her home has been granted High Court bail

A man accused of sexually assaulting a woman after climbing into her home has been granted High Court bail.

Andrew Aparicio is to be released from custody on conditions including an exclusion zone around the alleged victim's apartment in Belfast.

The 32-year-old, of Edenvale Crescent in the city, is also accused of breaking a window latch before being let into the property in the early hours of October 30.

He faces charges of sexual assault and criminal damage.

The woman claims she was wakened at around 6am by a knocking sound. She went to investigate dressed only in her underwear, discovered Aparicio climbing through the kitchen window and helped him in, according to police.

During a previous hearing it was claimed the defendant said to her: "I thought you were dead."

Aparicio then allegedly followed her back into the bedroom, thrusting his groin against her. A judge was told the woman became scared and phoned a taxi for the accused.

Following her complaint Aparicio was arrested and initially claimed he had been at his mother's home at the time. But police have now established it was a false alibi, the court heard.

Defence lawyers stressed Aparicio knows the alleged victim and claims to have been invited into her home.

Granting bail, Mr Justice Burgess ordered the accused to keep outside an area identified on a map. He also imposed a night-time curfew and electronic monitoring.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph