Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Suspects PSNI want to question over parade riots

By Lesley Houston

Published 06/01/2016

One of the suspects police want to speak to
One of the suspects police want to speak to
One of the suspects police want to speak to
One of the suspects police want to speak to
One of the suspects police want to speak to
One of the suspects police want to speak to
One of the suspects police want to speak to
One of the suspects police want to speak to
One of the suspects police want to speak to
One of the suspects police want to speak to
One of the suspects police want to speak to
One of the suspects police want to speak to

These are the faces of 15 suspects police want to speak to about ferocious rioting after a controversial loyalist parade was stopped last year.

During serious disorder last July 13 in north Belfast, 20 PSNI officers were injured, including a policeman whose ear was nearly severed.

A teenage girl was also trapped under a car outside Ardoyne shops in an alleged murder bid by a member of the Orange Order.

One of the officers who helped lift the car off the 16-year-old lost a tooth after he was hit in the face with a bottle, while another officer had a finger almost bitten off.

Images of 15 people - all male - were yesterday released by the PSNI as part of their investigation into the trouble at Woodvale Road, Twaddell Avenue and the Ardoyne shop fronts.

The unrest started after Orangemen in north Belfast were banned from marching the return leg of a parade for the third year running by the Parades Commission. The contested parade had been prevented from marching along a stretch of the Crumlin Road.

Yesterday a PSNI spokesman said 23 arrests had already been made in connection with the disorder, with 18 people having been charged and a further five reported to the Public Prosecution Service.

Detective Chief Inspector Gary Reid said their investigations will continue to bring the perpetrators of the violence to justice.

"We are committed to identifying those involved in this disorder and we will be relentless in our pursuit in order to bring these offenders before the courts," he said.

"Over the course of the day, police were attacked with masonry, bottles, petrol bombs and fireworks, resulting in 25 officers being injured - five at incidents in the centre of Belfast and 20 in north Belfast that evening.

"By releasing these images I am hopeful that the wider community will help us identify these individuals.

"It is in everybody's interest - as well as in the interest of justice - that those responsible are dealt with appropriately and I would urge anyone who may have any information to bring it forward."

He added: "I also encourage the persons within these pictures to contact police directly - in doing so they will minimise the impact on themselves, their family and their community."

It is understood police will publish more images next week in relation to disorder on Rosapenna Street on August 9, when police stopped a controversial republican anti-internment march.

Anyone able to provide any information about the 15 people in these images should contact detectives at Strandtown Police Station on 028 9090 1734 or email on POETDPC@psni.pnn.police.uk. The charity Crimestoppers can also be reached anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph