Sword kill accused's case being 'pressed on'
The prosecution case against an alleged double killer is "being expedited" as fast as possible, a lawyer claimed yesterday.
South Belfast man Albert Armstrong appeared at Newtownards Magistrates Court via videolink for the short mention of his case.
The 46-year-old, from Mahee Close in the Belvoir estate, is in custody accused of the murders of his friends Colin 'Bap' Lindsay, a former UDA commander and Stanley Wightman.
Armstrong had initially been charged with attempting to murder 52-year-old Mr Wightman but within hours of the alleged killer's first court appearance on July 10, he tragically succumbed to the injuries he sustained.
Armstrong's other alleged victim, 47-year-old UDA commander 'Bap' Lindsay was pronounced dead at the gruesome scene on July 8.
It had been reported that the three men were together in Mr Lindsay's home at Kirkistown Walk, also in the Belvoir estate when Armstrong allegedly attacked them with a Samurai type sword which was owned by the UDA chief. It has also been reported that Mr Lindsay's head was almost severed while Mr Wightman sustained severe lacerations to his arm and neck.
Armstrong was arrested and a bloodstained samurai-type sword was recovered from a blue Mazda 6 nearby. Speaking at the time, senior investigating officer, Detective Chief Inspector Richard Campbell, said he believed the sword recovered near the scene of the killing was "likely... the weapon that was used in the attack".
Yesterday a prosecuting lawyer asked for the case to he adjourned for a further four weeks as the "file has yet to reach the PPS" but assured the court that as it will be going in indictment to the Crown Court, "matters are being expedited".
Remanding Armstrong back into custody, District Judge Paul Copeland told the alleged killer his case was being "pressed on" and ordered him to appear again via videolink on September 11.