Tayto Park defends safety after staircase collapse
Tayto Park has insisted there was proper supervision at the House of Horrors Halloween attraction in the Republic of Ireland in which nine people were injured following a staircase collapse.
Ambulances brought the injured to hospital after the wooden stairs gave way at the popular adventure centre in Ashbourne, Co Meath.
The incident happened at around 8pm on Saturday during a Halloween-themed after-dark event.
Rian O'Kelly, who was at the park with her 13-year-old sister, stepped off the lower staircase moments before the collapse.
"We heard this big creaking noise and we thought it was part of the show, like trying to be scary, but then, next of all, people directly behind us just dropped and the whole staircase collapsed," she said.
"Obviously everyone got really afraid and everyone started crying and screaming and stuff, and running because we thought we were going to drop down as well, because we had just stepped off that staircase and everyone behind us just had gone."
The injured were taken to Connolly Hospital in Blanchardstown and St James's Hospital in Dublin.
Sources said there were no serious injuries and, by yesterday afternoon, everyone assessed and treated in both hospitals had been discharged.
Ms O'Kelly added: "We basically just saw everyone behind us just suddenly drop and they all landed on top of each other and the staircase completely gave way.
"All the younger children, and adults even, were screaming and crying. It really was very scary and quite ironic that we were supposed to be going into a house of horrors."
It is estimated there were around 25 people on the stairs at the time.