Third man arrested in England in Paul McCauley Derry murder investigation
A 61-year-old man has been arrested in England by Northern Ireland police investigating the murder of Paul McCauley in Londonderry.
The man was arrested in Kent and brought to Belfast's Musgrave police station for questioning.
It follows after two men previously held in connection with the murder of Paul McCauley were re-arrested on Wednesday.
The suspects, aged 27 and 28, remain in police custody in Derry.
The pair, who were arrested last year before being released on bail, were taken to Strand Road PSNI station after applications for warrants of further detention were yesterday approved by a court.
Police upgraded the investigation into Mr McCauley's death to a murder probe after he died in 2015 as a result of injuries inflicted during a beating at the hands of a loyalist mob in 2006.
Since then, a total of 17 people have been arrested and questioned.
The father-of-one, who was 38 when he died at Longfield Nursing Home, remained in a permanent vegetative state after being attacked while attending a summer barbecue with friends near his home in the Chapel Road area of the Waterside.
To date, just one person, John Piper McClements, formerly known as Daryl Proctor, has served a jail term in relation to the assault on Mr McCauley. He has since been charged with Mr McCauley's murder.
Speaking after the latest arrests, Detective Chief Inspector Michael Harvey, said: "We said after Paul died that this investigation would take on a renewed momentum and this momentum is continuing.
"One person has been charged with murder and another individual has been reported to the public prosecution service.
"Detectives are available to speak with anyone who decides they want to talk to us. Even after almost 10 years, it is not too late to do the right thing and come forward. Anyone with information about the attack and its tragic outcome can speak to detectives on the non-emergency number 101.”