Belfast Telegraph

Tragedy as man dies in Armagh house fire

By David Young

A man in his 50s was reported to have died in a house fire in Armagh last night.

The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) said five emergency appliances and personnel were at the blaze scene in Culdee Drive, close to the centre of the cathedral city.

The alarm was raised by neighbours.

Valiant attempts were made by family members to rescue the man, who was trapped in an upstairs room in his family home. Two people were treated for smoke inhalation.

NIFRS Group commander Dermot Rooney said: "We're currently attending a very serious incident in the Culdee Drive area of Armagh.

"We have five fire appliances and 30 officers attending."

Armagh Lord Mayor Garath Keating was at the scene last night and described a sight of devastation with some survivors blackened by the smoke as they attempted to rescue others.

"This is a traumatic event for everyone. It is a tragedy," he said.

"My thoughts are with the man's close and extended family. I am sure the community will rally round to support them at this traumatic time."

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph