Translink probe claim Belfast bus driver left elderly man alone at stop after suffering 'fit'
Claims a bus driver left an elderly man alone at a stop after he suffered a fit onboard are being investigated by Translink.
The BBC reports a concerned passenger reported the incident to the bus and rail operator after the incident last Friday morning.
A passenger, thought to be in his 80s became unwell on a journey from the Antrim Road into Belfast.
He was then helped off the bus by two Translink workers and the concerned passenger.
The woman told the BBC she thought the staff were handling the issue, so went on to make her way to work. But after walking away she later turned to see the man alone and the bus gone. She went back to help and called an ambulance.
"I couldn't believe what I was seeing, the man clearly needed medical assistance and I assumed the driver would call an ambulance," she said.
"I went back to the man who didn't know where he was and was vomiting.
"He was in no state to be left alone.
"I hate to think that if I wasn't there this man would have been left alone in such a fragile state."
The Ambulance service said it attended to a man who suffered a seizure and only one call was made to it about the incident.
A Translink spokesperson said: "We have now completed our investigation into the alleged claims regarding an elderly passenger who took ill on a 1F Metro service, last week.
"The driver and another member of staff became aware of the gentleman’s distress and took steps to get him off the busy, crowded bus. After offering him some care and assistance, the man appeared to feel better and refused any further medical assistance.
"We take the safety and welfare of our customers very seriously and are satisfied that all procedures were followed to ensure the welfare of this customer.
"We have also followed up with the lady who did offer some further help to the gentleman concerned to provide her with more information on this incident."