Tributes to Newry dad Connor Galligan who died after van plunged into canal
Tributes have been paid to the tragic father-of-two who died after his van plunged into the Newry canal at the weekend.
The man, who has been named locally as Connor Galligan, was rushed by ambulance to the Daisy Hill Hospital in Newry, where he later died.
A passer-by raised the alarm at Victoria Lock shortly before 2pm on Sunday that a vehicle had entered the canal at Fathom Line in Newry.
The 30-year-old tradesman lived in Newry, but was originally from Meigh, just a few miles outside the city, and ran his own company, Connor Galligan Plumbing and Heating Services.
He is survived by his wife Michaela, whom he married in January 2013, seven-year-old son Kyle and daughter Holly, who is two.
Mr Galligan, who was a past pupil at St Mark’s High School in Warrenpoint, later continued his studies at Southern Regional College, before starting up his plumbing and heating business in January 2013.
Just last week, Mr Galligan had told a friend on the social media site Facebook that everything in his life was going well.
Henrietta van Venrooij wrote: “Hello Connor, everything OK with the family? Good to hear from you.”
He had replied: “Hello, all good with family. Kids getting big.
“Kyle is seven now and Holly is coming three. Hope you are well.”
Following news of his unexpected death, scores of Mr Gilligan’s friends have posted messages of condolence on his timeline. Clare McShane said: “RIP Connor. My thoughts are will your family, Michaela and the kids XX” and Stephen Pentony simply wrote: “RIP Connor.”
Meanwhile, Laura Donegan posted: “RIP Connor. Another young life gone too soon, thinking of your family at this sad time XOX” .
Debbie McCabe wrote: “RIP Connor. Such sad news...”
PSNI Inspector Russell Vogan said “enquiries surrounding the incident are still ongoing”.
Local Ulster Unionist councillor David Taylor offered his sympathies to the family.
“This is a tragedy and our hearts go out to this man’s wife and children,” he added.
SDLP councillor Gary Stokes said the incident had left the family in shock.