Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

UDA man Colin 'Bap' Lindsay murdered in samurai sword horror in Belfast - and second man 'loses his arm'

By David Young and Steven Alexander

Published 09/07/2015

A 47-year-old man has been killed and a 52-year-old man is in a critical condition in hospital after an attack in a housing estate in south Belfast.
Photo Arthur Allison/Pacemaker
A 47-year-old man has been killed and a 52-year-old man is in a critical condition in hospital after an attack in a housing estate in south Belfast. Photo Arthur Allison/Pacemaker
Police at the scene at Kirkistown Walk in the Belvoir Estate, Belfast, where a 47-year-old man has been killed and a 52-year-old man is in a critical condition in hospital Pic Colm Lenaghan/Pacemaker
Police at the scene at Kirkistown Walk in the Belvoir Estate, Belfast, where a 47-year-old man has been killed and a 52-year-old man is in a critical condition in hospital Pic Colm Lenaghan/Pacemaker
Police cordon off the area around Kirkistown Walk
A police officer at the scene of the sword attack in south Belfast
Jackie McDonald knew the victim
A smashed window at the scene of the attack

A close friend of UDA boss Jackie McDonald has been killed in what police have described as an "extremely violent" attack in south Belfast.

Police received a call from a concerned member of the public to the Belvoir estate just before 8pm.

On arrival at a house in the estate they arrested 46-year-old Albert Armstrong and recovered a Samurai-type sword in a blue Mazda 6 car parked nearby.

Following information received at the first house police then forced entry to a property at Kirkistown Walk also on the Belvoir estate and found two men seriously injured in the living room.

An ambulance was called but 47-year-old Colin Lindsay, who resided at the property, was pronounced dead.

The other man, 52-year-old Stanley Wightman, was in a serious condition.

Mr McDonald explained: "I was told there was a lot of blood."

However, he was not allowed into the Kirkistown Walk bungalow in the Belvoir estate while PSNI officers gathered evidence.

Mr Wrightman was rushed to hospital where he was last night in a critical condition.

Sources have told the Belfast Telegraph he lost an arm in the attack.

In a statement on Thursday afternoon police took the unusual step of naming the people they believe to be involved in the incident as part of the appeal to the local community.

DCI Richard Campbell said: "This was an extremely violent attack which has left one man dead and another seriously injured.

"We are following a number of lines of enquiry but at the same time are keeping an open mind on what happened and why it happened.

"We are taking the unusual step of naming the three men who we believe were involved in this incident as part of our appeal for information to the local community.

"We want to hear from anyone who saw or spoke to Colin Lindsay, Stanley Wightman or Albert Armstrong at any time yesterday or who knows anything about their movements.

"We are also appealing for information about the blue Mazda 6 car, registration number FHZ 6126. We want to hear from anyone who saw this car yesterday to contact us."

Anyone with any information can call police on the non-emergency number 101 and ask for detectives at Ladas Drive or they can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Belfast Health Trust confirmed that the man had been taken to the Royal Victoria Hospital from the scene.

The Ambulance Service said it had received a call to attend the scene at 8.20 last night.

It is believed that all three men had been known to each other and had been drinking together before a sword was produced.

The incident is not being linked to any dispute or feud within loyalism.

One source described it as like "a scene from a Hollywood movie".

An angry crowd of up to 60 people gathered outside the bungalow after the killing.

A window in the side of the residence was smashed.

Armed PSNI response units rushed to the scene which was cordoned off last night.

While the dead man had not been formally identified last night, it is understood that he had been a senior member of the UDA in South Belfast in the past.

Mr McDonald said: "When I was at the scene there was one confirmed dead and seriously injured and taken to hospital, but there had not been a positive identification of either.

"I was with the family of the man who lives at the bungalow.

"They were very concerned and upset, and very distressed.

"I offered to go into the bungalow and identify the body for the sake of the families.

"But the police told me that the Scenes of Crimes officers were present and no one was allowed in.

"I was told there was a lot of blood.

"My understanding is that the person responsible had used a samurai-type sword.

"Both men are personal friends and my thoughts are with the families and I hope that the injured man makes a full recovery.

"As I left the scene, people were still waiting for news on the identification of the man in the bungalow."

PSNI Inspector John Murray said last night: "Police inquiries are at an early stage and are ongoing into this incident.

"There are no further details at present."

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph