Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Ulsterman first to get Jimmy Savile cash: Victim receives £15,000 from BBC after being groomed by notorious TV star

By Staff Reporter

Published 21/09/2015

Jimmy Savile
Jimmy Savile

A man from Northern Ireland is believed to be the first person to receive a settlement from the BBC in the wake of the Jimmy Savile scandal.

The Sunday Express reported that the 54-year-old, who has not been named, was paid £15,000.

The BBC has not confirmed the payment. The victim was in a care home in 1977 when he wrote to Savile, telling him how he had been sexually abused and would love to meet Abba or Boney M on Jim'll Fix It.

The newspaper revealed that Savile paid for the boy to travel to the studio, but handed him to an accomplice who molested him.

"When I arrived I was shown to his room at Television Centre and met him and there were other small children present," he said.

The victim - who used the pseudonym 'Robert' - said Savile had a girl aged around seven or eight on his knee and appeared aroused.

"I ran out and tried to get help and asked the security men at reception to help but an assistant of Savile's turned up and took me back to his room with security," he said. "I had been so used to being sexually abused I knew what was to come.

"A man in his 40s or early 50s joined us, sat behind me and said he would be taking care of me."

The abuser, only known as 'Brian', started to sexually molest the victim and later drove him to an exclusive club in Pall Mall, London.

"At this house (the club) Brian abused me and a much smaller boy aged between seven and nine who looked very poorly and thin and was also being abused by a very obese man," he said.

He believes he was drugged there before being abused, and woke up the next morning facing the other boy. However, he had no recollection of being abused by Savile himself.

He said Savile later made him a packed lunch, handed him £5 and sent him back home to Northern Ireland.

"Savile came in, and took the other boy away and said I should hurry up to have breakfast. I had breakfast and Savile made me a lunch box," he said.

The Sunday Express reported that the BBC denied responsibility at first, as the abuse was not carried out directly by Savile.

However, it later accepted there was potential for a negligence finding and reached a £15,000 settlement.

It is not known if the Corporation has made other pay-outs to victims.

"The terms of the scheme were agreed with lawyers for the victims, as well as the NHS and the Savile estate," a spokesman said.

"The BBC has made a financial provision to deal with these claims, as it does for any potential claims arising from litigation. We will not discuss individual cases."

The victim has already given evidence to the Dame Janet Smith inquiry into Savile's abuse at the BBC.

"The BBC initially said that Savile was not known as a groomer and that was given as a reason for refusing the claim. Then they said my being abused by his friend was not something they could or would consider," Robert said.

"I believe there are many cases where the BBC has refused claims because Savile was just the arranger for abuse by others and the BBC does not believe it is responsible.

"I believe this is a scandal because clearly Savile via the BBC brought me over to be abused by someone else."

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph