Watch: Bonfire set alight close to Northern Ireland petrol station being rebuilt ahead of Eleventh night
A bonfire, constructed across the road from a petrol in Carrickfergus, is being rebuilt after it was set alight prematurely ahead of the Eleventh night.
The towering construction located at Prince Andrew Way was set alight at 4.35am on Tuesday morning.
Two fire appliances were sent and worked through the night to extinguish the blaze.
The NIFRS had been working closely with partner agencies in relation to the bonfire.
- Shankill bonfire could have killed, review needed to improve safety in future, says Belfast Lord Mayor Brian Kingston
The bonfire was being rebuilt on Tuesday ahead of the annual celebrations.
The Dunmurry bonfire was also set alight early on Monday night.
The PSNI said they were not the lead agency on bonfires but work "closely with our partner agencies and local communities to address concerns linked to bonfires".
Meanwhile tensions have risen around bonfires in Belfast after the City Council secured a High Court injunction on Friday preventing more materials being added to four loyalist bonfires in Belfast amid health and safety concerns.
- Unionist politicians branded 'spineless' for silence on bonfires injunction
- Huge bonfires to usher in Twelfth of July celebrations
- Masked loyalists break court order to extend Eleventh night bonfire
Last night masked loyalists appeared to break a court order banning them from extending the Eleventh night bonfire in Belfast.
The loyalists, wearing balaclavas and scarves over their faces, could be seen on Monday afternoon using a cherry picker to add wooden pallets onto the top of the bonfire at a site in the east of the city that is at the centre of a controversial court ruling.
However, on Monday at Inverary playing fields - one of the sites covered by the injunction - pallets were being added to the bonfire. Video and photographs taken by the Press Association shows piles of wooden pallets being lifted onto the bonfire and then stacked on top by two masked men.
Loyalists in east Belfast have been left angry by the court injunction.
Some news. The controversial pyre on Prince Andrew Way, Carrickfergus was set alight last night. pic.twitter.com/x6NhKGlyT3— Ryan McAleer (@RyanMcAleerUH) July 11, 2017
Belfast Telegraph Digital