Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

West Belfast Dunmurry bus services suspended over petrol bomb attack

By Allan Preston

Published 12/07/2016

Bus services in parts of west Belfast have been suspended after a driver was targeted in a petrol bomb attack
Bus services in parts of west Belfast have been suspended after a driver was targeted in a petrol bomb attack

Bus services in parts of west Belfast have been suspended after a driver was targeted in a petrol bomb attack.

The Unite union, which represents Translink Metro drivers, said members were now refusing to provide bus services to Lagmore View near Dunmurry.

Unite official Michael Dornan called the attack "a mindless event" that endangered lives.

"On Saturday at 10.22pm, a Metro bus was attacked by an individual who threw a petrol bomb at the vehicle," he said.

"The attack put at risk the life of the driver and passengers on board. They were lucky on this occasion but such a mindless act could have caused a major accident affecting other road vehicles or the wider community.

"Sadly, attacks on buses are an all too common occurrence in Northern Ireland, but this attack is particularly sinister.

"From our review of the CCTV capture of this incident it appears the attack was premeditated and we believe may have targeted the driver concerned."

Mr Dornan said all relevant information had been passed on to the authorities. He added: "We apologise for the inconvenience but we have to prioritise safety."

A statement on the Translink website read: "10D/E/F Metro services are omitting Lagmore View until further notice due to disturbance in the area on Saturday evening."

SDLP councillor Brian Heading said: "Passenger and staff safety are paramount and I support Translink and Unite's efforts to restore the service to Lagmore."

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph