Belfast Telegraph

West Belfast man 'tried to choke woman to sexually assault her', court told

A man appeared in court today accused of trying to choke a woman so that he could carry out a sexual assault.

Thomas Ashley Goligher faces charges connected to an alleged incident in Belfast last month.

The 25-year-old, of Locan Street in the city, is accused of attempting to choke, suffocate or strangle the woman.

It is alleged in the charge that he tried to "render her insensible, unconscious, or incapable of resistance" with intent to enable a sexual assault to be committed.

He faces two further charges of sexual assault and common assault against the same woman.

All of the alleged offences were committed on May 25.

Appearing in the dock for the first time at Belfast Magistrates' Court, Goligher spoke only to confirm he understood the charges.

A detective constable said he could connect him to the alleged offences.

Goligher was then released on continuing bail to return to court on August 1.

District Judge Fiona Bagnall stated: "I presume this (case) is going to take a bit of time to prepare."

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph