Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

West Belfast man who raped 12-year-old and got her pregnant warned by judge he faces prison

By John Cassidy

The west Belfast man who raped a 12-year-old girl and got her pregnant has been warned he faces jail in the new year.

Releasing Conaire Adams-Whyte on continuing bail, Judge Patricia Smyth told him: "I want to make it clear that I see no option but to impose a custodial sentence in this case."

The defendant (20), from Crocus Street off the Springfield Road, pleaded guilty at Belfast Crown Court to a single charge of raping the schoolgirl in the bedroom of his home on a date unknown between June 30, 2015 and August 1, 2015.

Prosecution counsel Jackie Orr QC told the court that police received a report that a 12-year-old girl was pregnant on September 29, 2015.

The PSNI later met with the schoolgirl at her home, where she told officers the defendant was the father.

The court heard the young girl showed police a number of messages she received from Adams-Whyte on Facebook.

During a later recorded interview, the girl told police that on the date she was attacked, she was supposed to be staying with the defendant's mother, but she failed to pick her up.

She added that some time later the defendant arrived at her home to collect her and took to the home he shared with his mother, after which the two of them watched television in the living room.

The victim told police that when she asked where she was going to be sleeping, the defendant replied that there was a television in his bedroom and she was going to sleep in another bedroom afterwards.

The girl told officers that "things just started to happen... it wasn't planned to happen but it did".

She said the defendant kissed her, took off the bottom part of her clothing and then the bottom part of his clothing, after which they had sex.

During the interview, she told police the sex was sore, but added that she did not say 'no' or tell the defendant to stop.

Judge Patricia Smyth was told Adams-Whyte was arrested on October 1 last year and had a DNA sample taken.

Ms Orr QC said: "He completely denied having sexual intercourse with the complainant and was released on bail."

In April of this year, a boy was born and a DNA sample was taken from the child and found to match the defendant.

Adams-Whyte was again arrested, and when told that he was the father of child he "was speechless", the court was told.

The rapist, who goes by the nickname 'Mitch', said he had been out celebrating his 19th birthday on the night.

He claimed that while he had been drinking, he was not drunk, although he also admitted taking diazepam tablets and having little recollection of events with the girl, who he said he "didn't find attractive".

The court was told that a victim impact report found the girl was not suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.

It added that she was receiving support from a "loving mother", as well as her family and social services, as she copes with bringing up a child now as a 14-year-old.

The Probation Board assessed Adams-Whyte as having a medium chance of reoffending.

He was not judged to pose a danger to the public.

Ms Orr added: "The prosecution are not putting this forward as a breach of trust case.

"He (Adams-Whyte) was under the influence of alcohol and drugs, which is an adverse/aggravating factor."

Defence counsel Gavan Duffy QC told the court the offence had not been "pre-planned and there was pre-meditation".

"There was no targeting involved and he is not attracted to pre-pubescents," he added.

Judge Patricia Smyth said she wanted some time to consider all the papers in the case.

She adjourned sentencing for a date to be fixed in January next year.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph