Belfast Telegraph

Widow dies after carbon monoxide poisoning

A woman has died six days after she and her husband were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes in their home.

Killian Scallon was found dead at a house at Kesh Road, Irvinestown, Co Fermanagh last Wednesday. He was buried on Saturday.

A police spokesman said: "A woman in her 50s has died in the Royal Victoria Hospital six days after being overcome by fumes at a house at Kesh Road, Irvinestown, Co Fermanagh. She was pronounced dead at around 3.30am today."

Following an examination of the house by forensic scientists, police do not believe there were any suspicious circumstances.

Pauline Scallon, who was a teacher, was taken to the Erne Hospital but was later transferred to the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast.

She was seriously ill when emergency crews found her lying in the same property as her estate agent husband at around 11am last Wednesday. She was admitted to hospital in a critical condition.

The Health and Safety Executive is helping police as investigations continue to establish the cause of what happened.

Enterprise, trade and investment minister Arlene Foster said the mother of two had taught at a special school and was extremely well thought of.

"It is just so sad for the children and the family and the wider community," the Fermanagh and South Tyrone Northern Ireland Assembly member said.

She was retired but still worked at the school when needed.

Devenish parish Catholic priest Fr Michael McGourty said the entire community was grieving.

"It is a great loss, it is a tremendous loss, a tragedy for them," he said.

"It is breaking their hearts as we think about that after the tragedy of last week and that funeral at the weekend."

He said the family was deeply involved in the parish and in the community.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph