Belfast Telegraph

Winston Rea trial 'delayed over documents stand-off'

Lawyers for a veteran loyalist facing prosecution over two murders are refusing to sign an undertaking about handling US documents in the case, a court heard on Monday.

Prosecutors claimed attempts to have Winston "Winkie" Rea returned for trial on counts connected to the killings in Belfast more than 25 years ago are being delayed by the stand-off.

But the 66-year-old's legal team rejected suggestions that it was responsible for any delay.

Rea, of Springwell Crescent in Groomsport, Co Down, currently stands charged with the paramilitary killings of Catholic workmen John Devine in 1989 and John O'Hara in 1991.

He is also accused of two other attempted murders, including an attack on Malachy McAllister in the city in October 1988, weapons offences and membership of the outlawed Red Hand Commando terror grouping.

Rea was charged in June last year by detectives from the PSNI's Legacy Investigation Branch investigating killings stretching back into the Troubles. He denies the allegations.

The renewed probe came after police won a legal battle to gain access to interviews he gave to Boston College researchers behind a project on the Northern Ireland conflict.

John Devine, 37, was shot dead at his home on Fallswater Street in west Belfast on July 23, 1989.

He was sitting in his living room with his 13-year-old son when gunmen forced their way in and killed him.

Taxi driver John O'Hara, 41, was murdered at Dunluce Avenue in  the south of the city on April 17, 1991.

He was en route to pick up a passenger when two masked men approached and fired several shots at his car, fatally injuring him.

Other charges currently brought against Rea include another attempted murder of an unknown male in the city's Falls Road area sometime between January 1, 1971 and February 23, 1973.

He also faces counts of membership of a proscribed organisation on dates between 1973 and 1996, possession of an AK47 assault rifle, three revolvers, a 9mm Browning pistol and ammunition with intent to endanger life.

A further charge of possessing information useful to terrorists relates to claims that between 1984 and 1986 he had documents containing the identification and address details of suspected members of the IRA.

As the case was mentioned at Belfast Magistrates' Court today, Rea was once again excused from attending on health grounds.

Public Prosecution Service lawyer John O'Neill said documents for a preliminary enquiry hearing are ready at his offices.

"The defence are refusing to accept service of these papers," he said.

Mr O'Neill set out how the dossier contains material from the US covered by treaties that require formal assurances to ensure proper handling.

According to Mr O'Neill Rea's legal team are unwilling to sign the necessary undertakings.

He told District Judge Mark Hamill the case involved "multiple" counts, and claimed the situation was causing added distress to the victims' families.

Preliminary enquiry papers will have to be re-formulated to take out all the US material, Mr O'Neill added.

However, defence counsel Tom McCreanor disputed the prosecutor's depiction , describing claims of a refusal as "pejorative" .

Insisting Rea's team was ready to accept committal papers, he added: "Any agreement between the PPS and an outside body, the defence are not part of that."

Adjourning the case for a week, Mr Hamill ordered the defendant to attend the next hearing.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph