Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Woman accused of hoax bomb calls to Belfast Tesco

By Alan Erwin

Published 26/07/2016

Joanne Mitchell faces two counts of communicating false information causing belief of explosives.
Joanne Mitchell faces two counts of communicating false information causing belief of explosives.

A woman appeared in court today accused of making hoax warnings about a bomb at a major supermarket.

Joanne Mitchell, 43, allegedly used the Crimestoppers service to claim a device had been planted in Tesco's at Knocknagoney, east Belfast last month.

She faces two counts of communicating false information causing belief of explosives.

Mitchell, of Greenview Avenue in Antrim, nodded to confirm she understood the charges put to her at Belfast Magistrates' Court.

 A police officer said she could connect her with the alleged offences, said to have been committed on June 20.

District Judge Fiona Bagnall was told Mitchell is already on bail.

Mrs Bagnall asked for a "flag" to be put on the case. "This lady has been in this court on a number of occasions... and has been problematic," she said.

Mitchell was told to return to court next week for confirmation on her attitude to the current charges.

Online Editors

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph