Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Woman injured in college fridge explosion in Northern Ireland

North West Regional College describes incident as minor

Published 12/04/2016

Scene of the incident. BBC picture
Scene of the incident. BBC picture

A woman has been injured after a fridge exploded at a Northern Ireland college.

The incident happened on Tuesday morning at the North West Regional College in a kitchen area and the woman suffered minor leg injuries.

The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service attended the scene.


Part of the college was evacuated for a time.

A Fire Service spokeswoman added: "We received a call today at 8.42am to attend an incident in the Tower Building, North West Regional College, Strand Road, Derry.

“Two appliances from Northland Fire Station and one appliance from Crescent Link Fire Station attended the incident.

“A refrigeration unit had exploded in a first floor canteen in the building.  Using gas monitors Firefighters confirmed that no gases were present. 

"Firefighters isolated the power and ventilated the area.  There was no fire.  

“A female who was in the area of the canteen was taken to hospital.

“The incident was dealt with at 9.45am.  The Health and Safety Executive are investigating."

Online Editors

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph