Belfast Telegraph

Home News

Redundancy rumpus over Massereene base closure

Civilian workers at Massereene Army Barracks in Antrim have said they feel “betrayed” by the Army after they were told the MoD had no money to pay them off when the base closes.

The miltary base which houses the 38 Engineer Regiment became infamous last year when two young soldiers were shot dead at its gates as they collected a pizza just hours before they were due to be deployed to Afghanistan. The regiment is due to move to Aldergrove by the end of this year and the base is expected to close by March next year.

Last year civilian staff at Ballymena Barracks were given redundancy plus compensation when it was closed. However the workers at Massereene have claimed they were told there is no money to offer them redundancy.

One worker who contacted the Belfast Telegraph yesterday said there are around 40 civilian workers in Massereene who will be affected.

“All along we were led to believe there was going to be redundancies but on Tuesday we were told there was no money for redundancies and all of our names were being placed in a redeployment pool to be sent to Palace Barracks, Kinnegar, Aldergrove or Lisburn,” said the worker.

A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said: “There are currently no redundancies as the MoD in consultation with employees and trade unions will be redeploying staff to other establishments in the local network.”

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph