Belfast Telegraph

A&E remains closed after flooding

The emergency department at a Co Donegal hospital remains closed after serious flooding.

A major clean-up operation has been taking place at Letterkenny General Hospital in a bid to avoid the spread of infection.

Hospital staff, members of the fire brigade and gardai worked through the night to try to minimize damage caused.

The hospital was forced to declare an emergency situation after torrential rain flooded a number of different areas on Friday, leaving them damaged and soiled.

Emergency patients are being diverted to Sligo Regional Hospital and Altnagelvin Hospital. Letterkenny is also closed to all visitors.

Areas worst hit by the flooding included the emergency department, the radiology, outpatients, pathology and medical records departments. Several wards and kitchens were also flooded.

On Friday night, 11 patients from the emergency department had to be moved to day surgery.

The flooding, which occurred following heavy rain in parts of Donegal, caused a stream at the back of the hospital to become congested. It flowed over on to the hospital grounds and eventually into the hospital.

In a further statement on Saturday evening, Letterkenny General Hospital confirmed the clean-up operation is likely to continue into next week. The emergency department will remain closed and patients will continue to be diverted.

Elective inpatient and day case surgery for Monday and Tuesday will be rescheduled to a later date.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?


From Belfast Telegraph