Bankrupt ex-IRA developer McFeely faces new legal battle
Former IRA hunger striker Thomas McFeely will fight an application to extend the disgraced property developer's bankruptcy on grounds that include his alleged failure to disclose all his assets, Dublin's High Court has heard.
Mr McFeely (67) was ruled to be bankrupt in the Republic in July 2012 - but that is due to expire on July 30.
However, the official administering the bankruptcy, Chris Lehane, claims the Co Londonderry man has not been co-operating. He has applied to the court to extend the bankruptcy by an additional five years.
A lawyer for Mr Lehane said his client wanted a order put in place preventing Mr McFeely's discharge from bankruptcy until the application to extend the bankruptcy has been heard and determined.
Counsel said that particular order is being sought because it would not be possible to hear the motion before July 30. Lawyers for Mr McFeely told the court their client is contesting Mr Lehane's application and wants the matter heard as soon as possible.
Ms Justice Costello said she was satisfied to make an order preventing Mr McFeely from exiting bankruptcy until the motion is heard, and adjourned the matter to a date in October.
The judge declined an application by Mr McFeely's lawyers to fix a hearing during August or September when the Court is in recess. She said the matter was not so urgent that it required to be heard during the long vacation.
Previously the court was told Mr Lehane was seeking a five-year extension over the alleged non co-operation of Mr McFeely with the bankruptcy and alleged failure to disclose assets.