Berries link to hepatitis outbreak
An outbreak of hepatitis A in the Republic has been linked to eating imported frozen berries.
The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) said it is investigating a food poisoning outbreak and all indications were pointing towards frozen imported berries as the source.
Ten people have become ill with hepatitis A in the South recently, and half of these cases have been linked to the frozen berries.
The FSAI said there was no evidence to suggest that fresh Irish or imported berries are implicated. It is urging consumers and food businesses to boil imported frozen berries for at least one minute before eating to destroy the virus.
FSAI chief executive Prof Alan Reilly said frozen imported berries were widely used in the food catering sector for ready-to-eat dishes.