Boy, 11, hurt in 'feud' shooting
An 11-year-old boy suffered shotgun wounds to one of his arms when he was injured in a feud-related shooting at the weekend.
Gardai said the youngster was hit in an attack on his family home in the early hours of Satur day in the Belgard area of Tallaght in south Dublin after a gang tried to ransack the bungalow.
The child is the second to have been caught up in a shooting incident in the capital in as many days after a six-year-old girl narrowly avoided injury in a gun attack while she was a pillion passenger on a moped ridden by her father in the Ballyfermot area.
It is understood the girl was wearing a helmet and her father was targeted by a gunman as they travelled from the Cleggan Road to the Ballyfermot Road at about 9pm on Friday night.
The man suffered two bullet wounds to a leg and was taken in for surgery at St James's Hospital for injuries which were not thought to be life-threatening.
There were also reports that a bullet had grazed the helmet the girl was wearing during the shooting but she did not sustain any injuries.
The two incidents are not linked.
In the second attack, which detectives believe was linked to an ongoing feud in the Belgard area, gardai said the boy was with his family inside their bungalow when a group of men in a car drove up to the house and started smashing windows and doors.
A number of shots from a shotgun were fired at the house and it is understood the boy was injured in his left arm after a blast of pellets was fired through a window.
The incident occured at about 2.30am on Saturday morning.
Gardai said the car used by a group of men was a silver estate which was driven into the yard of the property to launch the attack.
The injured boy was taken to hospital for surgery to remove pellets from his arm and his injuries were described as not life-threatening.
Virtually every window in the bungalow was put through in the attack and the doors of the property were also vandalised. Caravans and a car outside the house had been vandalised in a previous incident.
It is understood the family have insisted they have been forced to flee from the house.
A man arrested in connection with the Ballyfermot shooting was released without charge yesterday, gardai said.