Boy dies after fireplace collapses
Published 30/04/2013 | 16:51
A five-year-old boy has been killed after a fireplace collapsed on top of him.
The youngster was in a home in the White's Cross area of north Cork when the tragedy occurred.
It is suspected that the chimney may have fractured or crumbled and the weight of the bricks and mortar forced the fireplace out.
Gardai and emergency services were called to the house where they found the child with life-threatening injuries.
He was rushed to Cork University Hospital where he was pronounced dead later.
The accident happened in the Coolgreen area of White's Cross in the family's two-storey detached home.
Gardai in Glanmire are leading the investigation and the local coroner's office has been notified.