Bus strike hits Dublin passengers
Thousands of Dublin bus passengers were left without transport over one of the busiest bank holiday weekends this year as drivers went on strike.
Some travelling from the Oxygen music festival in Co Kildare, were left without transport. Spectators going to the All-Ireland football quarter-finals in Croke Park were also affected.
Drivers' representatives said all services had been cancelled and called on transport minister Leo Varadkar to take action.
Dublin Bus has insisted it has no choice but to introduce 11.7 million euro worth of cost-saving measures. Mr Varadkar has called for dialogue.
Dermot O'Leary, assistant general secretary of the National Bus and Rail Union (NBRU), said the minister "is in the position to use his good offices to effect some sort of action".
"The best thing he can do in the circumstances is back up his statement with some actions," he added.
Public Transport Minister Alan Kelly said it was a bad day.
"Today tourists, match-goers, festival-goers and members of the general public are being discommoded because of strike action," he said. "This is deeply regrettable and unnecessary in my view. No worker wants to be on strike and management want the company to retain its services.
"Again I would ask all sides to come together in an atmosphere of calm and try and solve these problems once and for all. It is a difficult time for everybody involved in transport in Ireland, whether worker, driver or manager."
Dublin Bus has said that services are not operating on Bank Holiday Monday due to industrial action.