Enda Kenny rubbishes claim over Martin McGuinness attack
Taoiseach Enda Kenny has dismissed claims he was allowing a senior party colleague to do the “dirty work” of attacking Sinn Fein's presidential candidate Martin McGuinness.
The Irish leader refused yesterday to endorse the comments made last week by Fine Gael Justice Minister Alan Shatter, who said that Mr McGuinness was an “inappropriate person” to become President of the Republic.
“I've never commented on people in any kind of election. But I will say this, Gay Mitchell is an appropriate candidate,” he said.
He dismissed claims that Mr Shatter was being used to do the “dirty work” for Fine Gael, saying that he was focused on Mr Mitchell's campaign and not on anybody else's.
Meanwhile, Dana Rosemary Scallon has secured the required number of nominations to be included on the ballot for the election on October 27.
The Londonderry woman was nominated as a candidate for the Presidential election by Offaly County Council.
The nomination is her fourth and means her name will be included on the ballot.
Carlow, Roscommon and Donegal county councils had already given Ms Scallon, their support.