Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Fishermen in 'stable condition' after being overwhelmed by fumes in Donegal

Published 24/08/2015

Letterkenny General Hospital
Letterkenny General Hospital

Two fishermen remain in a stable but serious condition after they were overcome by fumes while cleaning a trawler earlier today.

The pair are being treated at Letterkenny General Hospital after they were found unconscious inside the ship’s refrigeration unit in Killybegs, County Donegal.

The alarm was raised around 2pm after the men, aged 27 and 46, were reportedly overcome by carbon monoxide fumes while working inside the vessel.

One of the men is from Galway and the other is believed to be a foreign national.

It is understood the men were cleaning tanks in a refrigeration unit when the Galway man fell into the hold – which contained ammonia and hydrogen sulphide.

The other man was overcome with fumes when he tried to aid his crew-mate after calling for help from those nearby.

The scene has been preserved by Gardaí, pending the arrival of officials from the Republic's Health and Safety Authority (HSA).

The HSA said that they “were aware of the incident” and that an investigation was underway.

Online Editors

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph