International crime agencies have joined the hunt for the identity of the dismembered man whose body parts were found in a waste recycling plant.
It is believed the man may have undergone brain surgery in the past and sources revealed detectives are "convinced" the man is "most likely foreign".
A post-mortem examination on body parts found at the recycling plant in Dublin has established the man's body was dismembered, officers confirmed.
Detectives still have no clue as to who the man is but gardai confirmed all of the information has now been passed on to Interpol and Europol, with further forensic testing and DNA analysis underway.
An upper leg and lower leg were first located at the Thornton's Recycling plant on Killeen Road in Ballyfermot on July 31.
Further body parts have been found following extensive searches of up to 1,000 tonnes of domestic and industrial waste.
The search operation was concluded at the site last weekend and previously revealed that the hands and most of the skull of the victim had been removed from him in a bid to hamper identification from dental records or fingerprints.
A garda spokesman explained yesterday that the identity of the man and his cause of death have yet to be established as he made a renewed appeal for information.
He said: "This victim may have died four to five days prior to the finding on July 31.
"What we have determined is that this male was between 25 and 45 years of age, 5' 8" in height, up to possibly 6' in height.
"There is evidence that this man had undergone neurosurgical treatment in the past," the spokesman said.
"There is evidence that this male underwent bilateral craniotomies." Such surgery may be required following serious head trauma, such as a car accident or a serious assault.
"It is possible that the patient may have suffered neurological problems in the aftermath of these surgeries, such as seizure or epilepsy."
So far officers have taken over 250 statements and followed 300 lines of enquiry, it also emerged yesterday.
Source: Irish Independent