IRA mortar accused freed after case fails
A man accused of IRA membership and having three improvised mortar launch tubes at his home in 2011 has walked free after the collapse of his Special Criminal Court trial in Dublin.
Prosecution counsel Mr Garnet Orange told the non-jury court that, in light of a ruling delivered yesterday by the court, the Director of Public Prosecutions was entering a "Nolle Prosequi", in other words not proceeding with the charges against Joseph Mooney (43).
Mr Mooney, of Cullinagh, Kilmeaden, had denied the unlawful possession of three mortar launch tubes at his home on September 22, 2011.
Justice Paul Butler said the court did not have solid evidence before it that three one-metre-high tubes found in the home of Mr Mooney were an explosive substance.
At the conclusion of the trial, Mr Mooney had been due to stand trial on a charge of membership of an illegal organisation styling itself the Irish Republican Army, otherwise Oglaigh na hEireann, otherwise the IRA on September 22, 2011.