Irish detectives shocked by details of Romanian teenager's murder
A murdered Romanian teenager suffered an appalling death that was incomprehensible in a civilised society, the garda leading the hunt for her savage killers said yesterday.
Chief Supt Michael O'Sullivan vowed that his investigation team would pursue Marioara Rostas's killers relentlessly until they had been brought to justice,
He was commenting on the four-year inquiry, which, he said, had been progressed significantly by this week's discovery of the 18-year-old girl's body in a bag, buried in a shallow grave in a remote part of the Wicklow mountains.
Seven suspects -- five men and two women -- have already been arrested and questioned about her disappearance and further arrests are expected as officers step up their inquiries.
Gardai confirmed officially yesterday that the remains, found in west Wicklow on Monday morning, were those of the murdered girl.
Senior officers admitted yesterday that even hardened detectives had been shocked by some of the circumstances surrounding her death and the dumping of her body, which was found in the foetal position, in a bag at the trunk of a tree.
Chief Supt O'Sullivan described Marioara as an innocent, defenceless girl, who looked younger than her 18 years and had been in the country for three weeks when she was abducted, brutalised and then murdered in a house at Brabazon Street in the south inner city. The house was later set on fire in an attempt to destroy forensic evidence.
Appealing to people with information about her disappearance and murder to come forward, Supt John Gilligan pleaded particularly with two people, who had been in touch previously on an anonymous basis with relevant details.
The first caller, a male from Co Wexford, telephoned the investigation headquarters at Pearse Street garda station on June 2, 2008, shortly after a 'CrimeCall' programme highlighted Marioara's disappearance.
A woman then made a 999 call on September 23, 2008. Both callers had information, which was relevant to the investigation and this was confirmed by this week's developments, Supt Gilligan added.
A post-mortem confirmed that Marioara had been shot in the head. Further tests are being carried out before the body can be released for burial.
Gardai believe that a Dublin gangster, who is currently in jail, organised the abduction and murder with a number of close associates. The seven arrests were made between November 2008 and October 2009 and gardai said they had already amassed a considerable amount of information.
Marioara was last seen alive by her younger brother while begging at Lombard Street East, near Pearse Street, in the city centre on January 6, 2008.
The car used in her abduction was later recovered. Gardai have not yet recovered the gun used in her murder.
People with information can contact the gardai at Pearse Street on 01 666 9000, or phone the confidential line, 1800 666111.