Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Karen Buckley murder: Sentencing of killer Alexander Pacteau to be broadcast on television

Published 05/09/2015

Alexander Pacteau, 21, admitted murdering Karen Buckley when he appeared at the High Court in Glasgow (Crown Office Scotland/PA)
Alexander Pacteau, 21, admitted murdering Karen Buckley when he appeared at the High Court in Glasgow (Crown Office Scotland/PA)

The sentencing of murderer Alexander Pacteau, the man who admitted killing Irish student Karen Buckley, is to be aired on television.

Scotland’s Crown Office have confirmed to the Herald that permission has been granted for Sky News to record sentencing hearing.

The broadcaster has been given pool access meaning the footage will have to be shared with other media outlets.

Last month, company director Pacteau (21) admitted repeatedly hitting Ms Buckley with a spanner and strangling her in his car in April.

The killer is now in protective custody in one of Scotland's toughest prisons, HM Barlinnie Prison, after the shocking revelations of how he bludgeoned Karen to death and then attempted to dissolve her body in a barrel of caustic soda.

He faces a life sentence after he pleaded guilty to the murder of the Cork nurse at Kelvin Way in Glasgow just minutes after Karen had left 'The Sanctuary' nightclub alone.

Read more

Karen Buckley murder: My apology will never be enough, says mother of killer Alexander Pacteau  

The former public schoolboy lured innocent Karen into his grey Ford Focus car with the offer of a lift home before first trying to strangle her and then beating her to death with a heavy 30cm spanner.

For a time he drove around Glasgow with Karen's dead body in the passenger seat of his car before trying to dissolve her remains in caustic soda in the bathtub of his flat and later in a plastic barrel.

Pacteau admitted repeatedly hitting Karen Buckley with a spanner and strangling her in his car
Pacteau admitted repeatedly hitting Karen Buckley with a spanner and strangling her in his car

He then hid the barrel in a storage shed on an isolated Glasgow hill farm. He is due to be sentenced on September 8.

"The sentencing statement will be filmed for subsequent news broadcast and published in full following the conclusion of proceedings,” said a crown office spokesperson.

The court has also given permission to journalists to tweet live from the proceedings once the hearing has started.

Irish Independent

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph