Belfast Telegraph

Man dies in mobile home blaze

A man has died in a fire in a mobile home.

Gardai said the blaze was reported at about 1am this morning at a property near Inveran, Co Galway.

The man in his 60s was discovered after the fire had been put out. He was taken to hospital in Galway city where he was pronounced dead.

It is understood the fire is not being treated as suspicious.

Sinn Fein Senator Trevor O Clochartaigh expressed his condolences to the man's family and friends.

"The loss of life in such circumstances is always tragic and especially so at this time of year," he said.

"I wish to extend my condolences to the family and local community at this time. Gaeltacht communities are close knit and a loss such as this can hit particularly hard. I would like to thank the efforts of the emergency services and gardai who work so tirelessly to keep us safe throughout the year.

"I would like to take this opportunity to remind people to be extra vigilant to the threat of house fires around Christmas and to ask neighbours to check in on those living alone around them. Hopefully in the future, we can cut the risk of tragedies like this reoccurring."

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph