Belfast Telegraph

Man in court over Walsh grope claim

An unemployed man who accused X Factor judge Louis Walsh of groping him in a nightclub has appeared in court charged with inventing the story.

Leonard Watters is accused of knowingly making a false report to gardai that the pop music mogul indecently assaulted him on a night out in Krystle in Dublin.

The 24-year-old was granted bail on condition that he does not contact Walsh or any member of Westlife.

Detective Inspector Michael Cryan told Dublin District Court that Watters made no reply when he was charged with the offence before the brief hearing.

He is accused of making the allegation against Walsh at Harcourt Terrace Garda station in the city centre on June 20.

Walsh has described the investigation over the last week as hugely distressing.

Originally from Navan in Co Meath, Watters has told investigating officers he has no fixed address at the moment and plans to stay with a friend.

Judge William Early ordered him to pay a 300 euro bond to secure his release on bail.

There was no objection to bail from the state solicitor and the case was adjourned until September 7 at the District Court.

Watters, who was charged under section 12 of the Criminal Law Act, declined to comment as he walked from the Criminal Courts of Justice complex in Dublin flanked by two solicitors.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph