Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

New delay hits ex-tycoon Sean Quinn family's legal battle against Anglo Irish Bank

By Brian Hutton

Published 04/06/2015

Ex-billionaire businessman Sean Quinn and his daughter Brenda
Ex-billionaire businessman Sean Quinn and his daughter Brenda

A legal battle launched by ex-tycoon Sean Quinn's family against the former Anglo Irish Bank over £1.7bn loans has been delayed again - pushing it back to next year.

Despite all sides turning up and ready to start the civil case at Dublin's Four Courts as expected yesterday, the Republic's Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) made a last-minute application for an adjournment.

Paul Anthony McDermott SC, barrister for the DPP, said there were fears that allegations and evidence expected in the case could "contaminate" Anglo Irish Bank ex-chief executive Sean FitzPatrick's criminal trial. That case was delayed yesterday until October 5.

The Quinn family case, to avoid liability for the massive loans by Anglo to various Quinn companies, is expected to be the biggest legal showdown in Irish corporate history.

Judge Robert Haughton said he was reluctantly and regrettably granting the DPP's request, and adjourned the case until January 12.

It is the third time the high-profile proceedings have been hit by delays. Fermanagh native Sean Quinn's wife Patricia and their adult children - Ciara, Collette, Brenda, Aoife and Sean jnr - first lodged papers in the case in May 2011.

It was previously put back in February to allow for the criminal case against Mr FitzPatrick to finish, but that prosecution has been dogged by delays amid legal argument.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph