Schools in Dublin and Limerick evacuated after bomb threats
A primary school in the Republic of Ireland was evacuated on Tuesday morning after it received a bomb threat.
Independent.ie can reveal that a person called Scoil Colmcille in Donaghmede this morning to say there was a device in the building.
Students, including a number of children with autism, were immediately ordered to evacuate and gardaí were contacted.
Officers carried out a search of the premises and were unable to find any device.
The Defence Forces' Explosive Ordnance Defence (EOD) unit was not contacted to deal with the situation as it was declared a hoax.
A garda investigation will now be launched to establish the identity of the person who made the call to the school on Newbrook Rd in Donaghmede, Dublin 13.
A source said: "This was a very scary situation for the children involved.
"Thankfully nobody was hurt but this is a very serious issue and will not be taken lightly."
A spokesman for the Garda press office said: "Gardaí in Coolock attended the scene of an incident at a school on Newbrook Rd, Coolock at 10.45am today.
"It proved to be a false report. Gardaí in Coolock will now carry out an investigation into the incident."
Meanwhile, hundreds of school children were evacuated from a national school in Limerick this morning after a separate hoax bomb alert.
Gardai were called to act after a message was sent to Milford National School claiming there was a device in the building.
It follows similar alerts at Schools across Northern Ireland. The schools were also impacted by a series of "malicious communications" made earlier in the day.
The PSNI have said that there is no indication that the hoax bomb threats are "terrorist-related".
It is understood that up to seven schools were evacuated this morning - and parents were called to collect their children.
It follows similar 'not credible' threats to schools across England and Scotland yesterday. Again, many schools were evacuated as a precautionary measure.