Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Shoppers urged not to eat mussels from County Cork bay over toxin fears

Published 21/08/2015

A warning has been issued not to eat batches of mussels harvested in Roaring Water Bay in county Cork
A warning has been issued not to eat batches of mussels harvested in Roaring Water Bay in county Cork

Mussels sold at some of the country's top fish counters during the week are potentially poisonous, food safety chiefs have warned.

Shoppers who bought the shellfish loose from dozens of outlets are being advised against eating them.

Anyone taken ill after eating mussels during the week is also being told to seek out medical attention immediately.

The mussels, harvested at Roaring Water Bay in Co Cork on Monday and Tuesday, may contain harmful levels of diarrhetic shellfish poisoning (DSP) toxins, the Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) said.

Poisoning from affected batches can lead to diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting and cramps for several days.

Dr Pamela Byrne, chief executive of the FSAI, said consumers who may have bought the implicated mussels must not to eat them.

"Cooking does not destroy this toxin," she said.

The food safety watchdog said the affected mussels were sold at the following outlets from Wednesday onwards:

:: Some Dunnes Stores outlets, with the use-by date of 21.08.2015

:: Some SuperValu outlets, where mussels were sold in 2kg and 5kg bags with use-by date of 22.08.2015

:: Beshoff's, West Pier, Howth, Co Dublin - mussels sold in 1kg net bags with use-by date of 20.08.2015

:: Doran's, West Pier, Howth, Co Dublin

:: Kish Fish, Malahide Road, Coolock, and at Bow Street, Smithfield, Dublin.

:: The Dublin Fish Shop, Queen Street, Dublin 7

:: Morgan's Fine Fish, Omeath, Co Louth

:: Glenmar, Union Hall, Co Cork

:: Normandy Ireland, Schull, Co Cork

:: Baltimore Fresh Fish, Baltimore, Co Cork

:: O'Driscoll's, Schull, Co Cork

:: Bantry Central Fish, Bantry, Co Cork

:: J&C Fish, Dundalk, Co Louth

:: Keoghs Fish Shop, New Quay, Clonmel, Co Tipperary

:: Seacatch Retail Fish Stand, Carrickmacross, Co Monaghan

:: Morgans Fish Stand, Park Street, Dundalk, Co Louth

The FSAI said potentially poisonous mussels have been removed from sale at outlets, and warned anyone who may have already bought some to check with the store where they purchased them and not to eat them.

"Eating contaminated mussels could cause diarrhetic shellfish poisoning," said Dr Byrne.

"Symptoms are diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain which can start between 30 minutes to a few hours after ingestion.

"Complete recovery occurs within a number of days.

"Consumers who may have already consumed this product and are feeling unwell should seek medical advice."

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph