Talks over march route break down
Talks aimed at resolving one of Northern Ireland's most troublesome marches have broken down, nationalist residents have claimed.
The Crumlin Ardoyne Residents' Association (Cara) said face-to-face talks over a disputed Twelfth of July feeder parade in north Belfast came too late to provide agreement.
Cara spokesman Joe Marley said: "We were unable to find a resolution with regards to the Twelfth of July parades this Friday and it was unfortunate that the talks came so late in the day.
"There was consensus from all those participating in the talks that this Twelfth should be peaceful irrespective of the Parades Commission determination."
More than nine hours of dialogue took place at Belfast City Hall throughout the weekend.
The talks were called by the Twaddell and Woodvale Residents' Association which asked three local lodges to engage directly with Cara after three recent peaceful parades in north Belfast.
Cara is one of two residents' groups opposed to the annual Orange Order parade in Ardoyne. It was the first time the Orange Order had agreed to meet a residents' group from the area which has seen serious rioting during previous parades.
In recent years police officers have been pelted with petrol bombs, bricks and bottles while trying to keep the peace following the annual Orange Order demonstration past Ardoyne. Shots have also been fired and last year an explosive device was also hurled towards police lines.
SDLP MLA for north Belfast, Alban Maginness said he hoped the dialogue would continue.
He said: "Whilst no agreement could be reached on parades for this Twelfth I would hope that this dialogue will continue in the weeks and months ahead so that we can find a solution that benefits the people who live and work in the area."