Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

13 years for mobile phone murder

A teenager who murdered a "promising" A-level student as he tried to recover a stolen smartphone has been jailed for a minimum of 13 years.

Dogan Ismail, 17, suffered a single stab wound to the heart as he tried to get back a BlackBerry robbed from another 15-year-old during an altercation two days earlier.

His killer, Dawda Jallow, from Peckham, London, was ordered to serve at least 13 years of a life sentence after he was found guilty of murder by a jury.

Before passing sentence at the Old Bailey, Judge Christopher Moss took the unusual step of lifting an order granting him anonymity as a minor.

The judge told Jallow that the attack was carried out with "force and ferocity" but added that he could not be sure whether he intended to kill his victim. Wearing a blue polo shirt and jeans, Jallow stared at the ground as his sentence was read out with members of his and his victim's families looking on.

Jallow had been caught carrying a knife twice before the attack took place on December 30 last year, the court heard. His mother had sent him back to Gambia, where they are originally from, in a bid to keep him out of trouble but when he returned he was "disruptive" at school.

Judge Moss described him as a "troubled boy who appeared to have a difficult background" due to the lack of a relationship with his father. "You have said you recognise the effect that your actions have had on those who loved him (Dogan) and I can only hope that is the case," he said.

In a victim impact statement read out in court on her behalf, Dogan's mother, Ozel Ismail, said the killing had plunged her and her family into a "living nightmare". She described him as a "highly ambitious" boy with dreams of setting up a business of his own, adding: "He was responsible, caring and a young man with integrity. I had dreams with Dogan - his first job, his first car, his first serious girlfriend," she said. "Those dreams have been stolen from me and have died with Dogan."

The crime happened after another 15-year-old had his BlackBerry stolen on the Aylesbury Estate in Walworth, south London, on December 28 last year. On December 30, Dogan and the smartphone's owner went back to the estate in an attempt to reclaim it. They confronted Dogan's killer, who went into a flat and returned with what police described as a "large" knife.

The Walworth Academy sixth-form student was found outside Latimer House in Beaconsfield Road by paramedics, but despite their efforts he was pronounced dead at the scene. Police decided to name Jallow as a suspect on New Year's Eve. After two weeks on the run, he handed himself in to police and later admitted manslaughter and theft before being found guilty of murder by a jury.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph