Abuse probe care home will close
A care home at the centre of allegations of abuse of vulnerable adult patients is to close on Friday, its owners have said.
Castlebeck said it had "voluntarily relinquished the hospital registration" of Winterbourne View, near Bristol, where 13 members of staff have been suspended after a Panorama investigation last month.
In a short statement, the County Durham-based firm said: "The hospital will effectively close this Friday (June 24), when the last patients are transferred to alternative services.
"Castlebeck has been working closely with families and carers, commissioners and other professionals from the NHS and social services to ensure patients are safely transferred with minimum disruption to their lives."
Avon and Somerset Police have arrested and bailed eight men and three women in connection with the case.
The review comes after the BBC current affairs programme broadcast undercover footage of the apparent misconduct at the Hospital in Hambrook, South Gloucestershire, which appeared to show vulnerable residents being pinned down, slapped, doused in water and taunted.
South Gloucestershire Council has launched a serious case review and said it would be examining "the effectiveness of the safeguarding system and processes" at Winterbourne View hospital.
Earlier this month, the Government said a full independent inquiry into what happened at the hospital had not been ruled out.
Last Friday two nurses who worked at the residential hospital were suspended from practising by the Nursing and Midwifery Council. The registrations of Sookalingum Appoo and Kelvin Fore, had been withdrawn pending a full investigation into allegations of serious breaches of its code of conduct, the NMC said.