Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Adam Johnson sex probe 'ongoing'

The investigation into an allegation that England footballer Adam Johnson had sex with an underage girl "remains very much live and ongoing" despite his club lifting his suspension, police have said.

Relegation-threatened Sunderland football club informed Durham Police today that it would allow the £10 million forward back to training.

He had been suspended by the club after he was arrested at his mansion in the hamlet of Castle Eden on March 2 following an allegation of sexual activity with a girl under the age of 16.

Durham Police said in a statement: "Sunderland AFC informed us this morning of their decision, which of course is a matter entirely for the club.

"The police investigation remains very much live and ongoing and a man remains on bail while inquiries continue.

"We would once again urge those posting on social media to be aware of the effects their comments can have.

"We accept rumour and speculation may be inevitable, but many of the comments have been distressing to the complainant, her family and people connected with the investigation."

Sunderland said it would allow the 27-year-old back to the club while police inquiries continue.

The statement said: "The club has discussed the current position in detail with both the PFA (Professional Footballers' Association) and Adam's representatives.

"In line with those discussions, we recognise that the player is entitled to re-commence his duties with the club while the legal process continues. He will therefore return to training.

"The club's own investigation cannot continue until the conclusion of the legal process.

"Sunderland AFC will make no further comment on the matter due to the ongoing police investigation."

Johnson is due to answer bail again on April 23, five weeks away.

Some Sunderland fans welcomed the news of Johnson's return to training.

On Twitter, some relished the idea of him being available to play against rivals Newcastle United on April 5.

Johnson scored the only goal of the last Tyne-Wear derby and he joked after the match that Newcastle fans must hate him.

Fan @WiseMenSay78 wrote above a photo of Johnson celebrating his goal against Newcastle: "The Magslayer is back, welcome back Jonno son!"

According to reports, Johnson has been visited by a club trainer who has given him fitness sessions at home.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph