Alcohol killed Amy Winehouse, new inquest confirms
A second inquest into the death of singer Amy Winehouse has confirmed that she died from alcohol poisoning after a drinking binge.
The same verdict of misadventure was recorded at a re-hearing of the inquest — after the first was heard by a coroner who did not have the correct qualifications.
The hearing was told that the Back To Black star was more than five times over the legal drink-drive limit when she died, having 416mg of alcohol per decilitre of blood in her system — the legal driving limit is 80mg.
The inquest by Dr Shirley Radcliffe at St Pancras Coroner's Court in London heard the same evidence about the singer's death as was revealed at the first inquest in October 2011.
The move to hold another inquest came after Suzanne Greenaway, who oversaw the first inquest, was found not to have the correct qualifications.
The singer's parents, Mitch and Janis, were not present and a spokesman for the family said previously that the Winehouses were “happy with the way the original inquest was conducted”.
Dr Radcliffe said the star died from “alcohol toxicity”, and it was “a level of alcohol commonly associated with fatality”.