Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

All 22 Manchester Arena suicide bomb victims have now been named

By Sue Doherty

The names of all 22 people whose lives were brutally cut short in the explosion on Monday night have been confirmed.

The latest news about the Manchester terrorist attack on Monday night includes: the names of the 22 people who died; the Queen visiting injured children in hospital; bomber's father and two brothers among ten arrested; US President Trump linking immigration to the attack even through Salam Abedi was born in the UK; Oasis front man Liam Gallagher announcing a benefit gig in Manchester

Seven children were among those killed in the attack. The 22 victims are:

  • Megan Hurley (15) from Halewood whose brother Bradley was hospitalised
  • Courtney Boyle,(18)and Philip Tron (32), from Gateshead
  • Wendy Fawell (50)
  • Off-duty police officer Elaine McIver, whose partner Paul was seriously injured
  • Eilidh MacLeod  from the Scottish island of Barra, whose friend Laura MacIntyre was seriously injured
  • Sorrell Leczkowski, from Leeds who was with her mother and grandmother, both of whom are recovering in hospital
  • Teenage sweethearts from South Shields Chloe Rutherford (17) and Liam Curry (19)
  • Saffie-Rose Roussos, just eight years old, the youngest victim of the attack
  • Georgina Callander (18) from Chorley, who had met singer Ariana Grande in 2015
  • John Atkinson (26) from Bury
  • Martyn Hett was a 29-year-old PR manager, who had appeared on TV show Come Dine With Me.
  • Kelly Brewster (32) from Sheffield
  • Angelika and Marcin Klis, a Polish couple who were collecting their daughters
  • Fourteen-year-old Nell Jones
  • Alison Howe (45) and her friend, Lisa Lees (47) from Royton who were waiting to collect their daughters
  • Michelle Kiss, also a mother-of-three, from Clitheroe Lancashire who had brought her 12-year-old daughter Milli and her friend to the concert
  • School receptionist and mother-of-three Jane Tweddle-Taylor from Blackpool
  • Olivia Campbell (15), from Greater Manchester, who was among the first of the terrorist's victims to be named.

Queen visits children in hospital

Twelve children under the age of 16 were among the 64 casualties taken to the hospital by ambulance after the explosion

The Queen visited young victims of the suicide bomb at Royal Manchester Children's Hospital on Thursday. During the visit, condemned the attack as "dreadful" and "very wicked".

Bomber's family among those arrested

A massive police operation is in swing as counter-terrorism officers attempt to crack Manchester bomber Salman Abedi's suspect criminal network.

The 22-year-old was born in Manchester to Libyan parents.

He travelled to Libya in 2011 during school holidays to join his father Ramadan in the fight against Gaddafi, a schoolfriend told Newsnight this week.

He was reported to authorities two years ago for expressing extremist views, a member of the Manchester-based Ramadhan Foundation said. He is believed to have been banned from Didsbury Mosque after challenging an imam who gave a sermon criticising the Islamic State terror group.

On the day of the attack, he made a final phone call to his mother, according to Libyan authorities. He urged her to: "Forgive me."

His father Ramadan and brother Hashim have been detained in Libya and another brother, Ismail, was arrested in Manchester on Tuesday.

Abedi's father, who was arrested on Wednesday in Tripoli, has denied being a member of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group, a proscribed organisation, but said he supports them.

Eight suspects aged between 18 and 38 are in custody in connection with the Manchester bombing, counter-terror detectives have revealed.

Greater Manchester Police previously hailed the "significant" arrests made and the "very important" items seized in raids as they attempt to close the net on Abedi's suspected terror network.

Trump blames immigration even though bomber was British

Addressing a Nato summit in Brussels on Thursday, US President Donald Trump cited the Manchester attack while calling for tighter immigration controls, despite the fact that Salam Abedi was born in the UK.

President Trump said the Manchester bombing was "barbaric and vicious attack" on our civilisation.

He added: "You have thousands of people pouring into our various countries and spreading throughout, and in many cases, we have no idea who they are. We must be tough. We must be strong. And we must be vigilant.

"The Nato of the future must include a great focus on terrorism and immigration, as well as threats from Russia and on Nato's eastern and southern borders."

Liam Gallagher announces benefit gig

Liam Gallagher has announced his first ever solo gig in Manchester, with all profits to be donated to the families of the terror attack victims. He told the Manchester Evening News: "We all have to do what we can." The former Oasis frontman will also perform at the Olympia Theatre on June 10.

At 11am on Thursday, several thousand people attending a memorial at St Ann's Square in Manchester fell silent as the nation observed a minute's silence to honour all those those killed and injured in the attack.

Afterwards, the crowd broke into a round of applause.

Then a woman began to sing the Oasis anthem Don't Look Back in Anger and the crowd joined in - a moving testament to the spirit of solidarity that has arisen in the wake of the atrocity.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph