Allergy blamed for pupil's death
A school pupil has died while on a trip to Tanzania after suffering a "severe allergic reaction".
The 18-year-old male student, from Harton Technology College in South Shields, South Tyneside, had been part of a team completing a 28-day charity expedition.
The incident happened yesterday on day 19 of the trip and, although the pupil received immediate first aid and CPR, he could not be resuscitated.
Sir Ken Gibson, the college's executive headteacher, said: "We were devastated to hear the awful news about one of our sixth-form students.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends, and with the students and staff who are still in Tanzania.
"I have been in touch with the family and the parents of the other students, and will be keeping in close contact with the staff in Tanzania.
"We are hopeful that they will be flying home as soon as possible and we will have professional support in place for all concerned."
True Adventure, the company which organised the trip, said the cause of the reaction had not yet been confirmed.
A company spokesman said: "The thoughts and condolences of all at True Adventure are with their family and friends and the organisation's efforts are fully focused on ensuring they are supported in any way possible."
The spokesman said they had arranged the team's evacuation from their remote location by organising for an ambulance with an international medical support agency doctor and a medic to meet them at the nearest possible point.
A spokeswoman for South Tyneside Council said: "Our thoughts and sympathies are with his family and friends at this very sad time.
"We will be offering counselling and any other support that we can to those affected by this tragic incident."
A Foreign and Commonwealth Office spokesman said: "We are aware of the death of a British national in Tanzania on July 22. We are providing consular assistance at this sad time."