Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News UK

Another arrest by police hunting man over south London sexual assaults

Published 03/11/2015

Police issued a CCTV image of a man they wanted to speak to
Police issued a CCTV image of a man they wanted to speak to

Another suspect has been arrested by detectives investigating a string of sexual assaults in south London.

Scotland Yard said the 24-year-old man was detained last night in the Brixton Hill area on suspicion of sexual assault. He is being questioned at a south London police station.

Nine women have been attacked in a series of incidents in Clapham and Brixton in the last month which police believe are linked.

Officers are warning women to be "vigilant" in the wake of the attacks and asking them to report anything that makes them feel unsafe.

The latest suspect is the fourth to be arrested by police in connection with the attacks.

Two men, aged 34 and 30, were bailed pending further inquiries and a third man, aged 32, was arrested in the early hours of yesterday.

Speaking yesterday before the latest arrest, Commander Simon Letchford said detectives had not ruled out the possibility of "copycat" attacks.

He said: "It may well be that we have one attacker, it may well be that we have copycat individuals, but we certainly will keep an open mind."

The suspect is described as a man with dark hair, and as being of Mediterranean or Middle Eastern appearance.

In the latest incident, police were called shortly after 5.40pm on October 31 after a woman was approached by a man while her back was turned.

The victim called for help after he began touching her and the attacker - whose description matched those of similar assaults - fled in the direction of Landor Road.

The previous assaults have seen lone women targeted late at night in residential areas and all of the victims were aged in their 20s and 30s.

The string of offences began in Clapham on Friday October 9.

A 23-year-old woman was grabbed on Clitheroe Road and assaulted, but the suspect ran off after she raised the alarm.

Early the following morning, a man tried to engage a 30-year-old woman in conversation before grabbing her on Deauville Court.

On October 22, a 32-year-old victim was followed along Trent Road by a man who put his hand up her dress.

Three attacks were reported in as many hours on Monday evening, involving women aged 35, 28 and 26.

The youngest of those victims was recorded on CCTV being approached from behind by a suspect as she tried to enter her home.

Two more attacks targeted a 28-year-old woman and another woman aged 31.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph