Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Around 255 people escaped Grenfell Tower blaze, according to police

Thirty two victims have been positively identified, with 55 post-mortem examinations having taken place.

Around 255 survivors escaped the Grenfell Tower blaze, police have revealed.

Giving an update on the inquiry, Scotland Yard said officers still believe that around 80 people are dead or missing.

Thirty two victims have been positively identified, with 55 post-mortem examinations having taken place.

Detectives say that due to the damage caused by the fire, some bodies may never be identified.

According to investigating officers speaking at the briefing on Monday, the Grenfell Tower investigation is the biggest the Metropolitan Police has conducted outside of counter-terrorism operations.

Investigations have revealed that 350 people should have been in the Kensington tower on the night June 14.

But police believe that 14 residents were not in the building.

bpanews_af4b677b-400e-42e7-8bcc-fe1c5dd3792f_embedded714995
(PA graphics)

Tenants illegally subletting flats in Grenfell Tower have been urged to come forward to allow emergency services to establish the true death toll from the blaze.

The Government has said no-one from the block would face charges for illegally renting out their flats.

It is feared the scale of the tragedy has not been captured by official figures due to many residents living in the building off the books.

The Home Office has already said it would not conduct immigration checks on survivors and those coming forward to with information.

Officers have spoken to residents from 106 of the 129 flats in Grenfell Tower and have not been able to speak to anyone from the remaining 23.

bpanews_af4b677b-400e-42e7-8bcc-fe1c5dd3792f_embedded715080
(Victoria Jones/PA)

Speaking of the scope of the criminal investigation, detectives said they were looking at all aspects of the fire including, but not exclusive to, the cladding, fire exits and the stay-put advice residents had been given.

Metropolitan Police Commander Stuart Cundy said: “We have identified over 60 companies and organisations that have had some involvement in either the construction, management or refurbishment of Grenfell Tower.”

He added that extensive amounts of evidence had already been gathered, including four terabytes of data from one company, and 20 terabytes of CCTV footage – the equivalent of two million boxes of A4 paper and 5,000 feature length films, respectively.

Mr Cundy explained the investigation would look at all kinds of potential offences, ranging from the most serious – manslaughter and corporate manslaughter, right the way down to more low level crimes.

He said: “We believe that around 80 people lost their lives as a result of the fire, that quite frankly, should not have happened

“You can’t listen to the families and to the 999 calls and not want to hold people to account for a fire that should not have happened.”

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph